Foundation Stage 2
Here at Jesse Gray our vision is to create a Foundation Stage 2 where every child is challenged to achieve with inspiration and enjoyment. We do this by guiding and supporting them with excellent teaching practice and key Early Years pedagogy. Learning is personalised to each child, taking account of their age and stage of understanding and development. We pride ourselves on working closely with our families and together we provide a nurturing, supportive and caring environment for children starting their primary education in our setting.
What is FS2?
FS2 (Reception Class) is the final stage of your child’s Early Years Foundation Stage which starts from when they are born.
Our Key Aims and Intent:
- To appreciate the uniqueness of every child and show them what they can achieve if they are given the opportunities to explore, be creative and think for themselves.
- To develop caring, confident and curious children with a passion for life-long learning.
- To have a firm understanding of what children want to learn and what we want them to learn and how.
How we will implement this:
- Embedding learning and understanding in all the seven areas of learning ensuing children make progress consistently across the curriculum.
- Using books to develop a love and enjoyment of reading and as a stimulus for our topics. All children are encouraged to bring their own favourite books into our setting as well as stories enjoyed by their parents and carers.
- Having a stimulating and challenging learning environment. We have a large playground area, a patio area and a Wildlife Garden as well as two large individual classrooms and a shared area.
How we will celebrate impact:
- Children will demonstrate what they have learnt through their play, their levels of concentration and their work.
- Children will have the knowledge and skills to thrive in school.
At Jesse Gray we pursue excellence in the heart of everything we do and always aspire to be even better. We describe ourselves as being ‘impeccable’ and we share our Golden Rules working together to be the best that we can be. We use the Leuven Scales for Emotional Well-being and Involvement and PSE is a key focus in everything we do.
Curriculum and Organisation:
Our curriculum is based around the Characteristics of Effective Learning; Creating and Thinking Critically, Active Learning and Playing and Exploring. We use Development Matters, the Statutory Framework and Early Years Outcomes. Our curriculum is based upon what we want our children to learn through key objectives but is evolved around their own interests and ideas. Themes are changed usually on a half – termly basis and always begin with a brainstorming session with the children to find out what they would like to find out more about and any questions we have to find answers to.
Effective Learning and Assessment
Our learning is a mix of child initiated and adult led. Our children learn best when they experience learning first hand and through meaningful interactions with others. We work individually with a child, in different sized groups and as a whole class. Learning is differentiated to meet the needs of the children and we ensure we offer challenge throughout our provision indoors and outside. We use the documents ‘Bold Beginnings’ and ‘Teaching and Play in the Early Years; A Balancing Act’ when we plan and we follow a timetable which is carefully tailored to meet the needs of our children but can also be flexible. We spend lots of our time outdoors in all weathers. We have a patio garden with a large selection of resources specifically for our FS2 children as well as a large playground with lots of apparatus to support their physical development which we access at lunchtime and throughout other times in the day. We also have a Wildlife Area with its own outdoor classroom. Assessment is continuous and observations and photographs are made on O’Track and Tapestry. We also capture key moments and share them via our class Twitter page. We pride ourselves on the standard of work your children do in their books and folders.
Enrichment and Parental Involvement
Trips, Visits and visitors are planned around our curriculum and offered usually on a termly basis. We welcome parental involvement and all parents and carers have our email addresses or can arrange to meet with us. Questionnaires and regular optional evening meetings are held to share information about phonics, reading and maths as well as Bedtime Story Evenings, Cultural Celebration events and a Curriculum Evening in October to share how your child is settling into our school. We pride ourselves on ensuring every parent and carer feels as fully involved as possible in their child’s early education at Jesse Gray.
For further details about the individual Areas of Learning in FS2 and how we teach them please see the documents listed below or contact me if you would like any further information.